Sunday, July 12, 2015

Turkey Trot Planning Begins!

We got together with some wonderful family and friends tonight to kick this thing off. Really, I was just overwhelmed trying to organize this by myself and meeting with others who will keep me accountable kick started the process of actually DOING… not just mental planning. I thought I’d provide a summary of our discussion in case anyone wants to volunteer for anything or has any other suggestions.

·        The race will start and end at Hardt Reality. Packet pick up will also be there the night before. Specific times TBD. Shout out to Hardt Reality for being our headquarters! Everyone go buy a house from them!

·        We will need volunteers on the day of packet pick up and on the day of the race. As the event comes closer I will send out more information about that.

·        We will have sponsors for the start and finish line as well as mile sponsors. Start/ finish line will be $100 and the other markers will be $50. I will make a flyer to email/ give out to business or individuals that might want to donate.

·        We want to have really great “swag bags” for this event. They will include a shirt, race number, and other donated items. For instance, Chopin Vodka is donating chap sticks. Donations of items such as small bottles of water, granola bars, coupons to local businesses etc. would be appreciated. We are also open to ideas for other items. Cash donations may be used to buy items. Sandra Tondre, Morgan Tondre, and Joann Van Winkle are heading up this venture.  

·        T-shirt design will be similar to years past with the Alsatian house but with some additional reference to mom. And it was decided this year the shirts will be orange to honor her. Call it “burnt orange” “panther orange” or “thanksgiving orange”… whatever you need to call it to be able to wear it, but nothing would have pleased mom more than a sea of orange in her honor.  Shirt design will be by my stellar sister-in-law, the amazing Kimber Robinson.

·        A bank account needs to be opened. Um, I’ll do that.

·        The amount of money for the scholarship will be dependent on how much we raise this year. We have a goal of $1000 but hope to exceed it. I personally hope to exceed it by a lot but who knows since this is the first year.

·        The scholarship will be open to all seniors that live in Medina county. Preferably those that are going to college to pursue a career in the medical field.

·        We will meet again at the end of August to check in on how everything is progressing. More info to come on that.

So loyal blog reader, I’m sure you’re thinking “how can I help?” The possibilities are endless!

·        Do you know a vendor that can get us a deal???

·        We will need volunteers for the race and packet pick up. Want to volunteer to help with any of the above? Be my guest!!!!

·        Make a donation! Get a friend to donate! Get a business to donate!!!!

·        Register for the race AND run it! Or just be a “sleep walker” and register without running.

Mom devoted much of her life to being a pharmacist at the local Walmart and helping people. What a better way to salute her than devote some of your time (or money if you don’t have time). You’ll notice there are a lot of exclamation marks throughout this blog indicating my level of excitement. And I so desire for the community to be excited about this event, too, and for it to be a smashing success!  

And in the middle of all this we have to move out of our house within the next THREE WEEKS! Actually it’s more like 18 days. I shouldn’t have counted that. Oh dear. Time to grab a beer.... and a box. Story of our lives! Always busy! But seeing all your glowing, happy faces at the race on turkey day will make it all worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment