Friday, June 6, 2014

Ode to Pregnancy, Part I

The title should really be... "Ode to pregnancy... how I will not miss thee." I started this post as a humorous take on all the not fun things about the miracle of pregnancy. I actually thought of more good stuff than I was anticipating so we'll make this a 2 parter.

Now don't get me wrong, I know exactly how blessed I am to even be able to get pregnant and I am truly, unbelievably thankful for that! I just point out all the crummy things for humor's sake. For as long as I can remember being a mommy and having a family was the biggest goal I had for myself. and really, it still is. I know I've been through a lot of school and have this career and such but that's just what I do and is certainly not the most important thing to me. I have always looked forward to getting pregnant and how "amazing" it would be! I'm not sure amazing is how I would describe it now that I've been through it (well most of it).... and I haven't even given birth nor have I been through the oh so fun postpartum part. There is more excitement to come!

I WILL miss....

Feeling her move
The kicking in the ribs is not my favorite but it's still an amazing feeling. I realized last week that some of the repetitive movements must be hiccups which makes me feel bad for her because having hiccups and not being able to get rid of them is horrible.

My belly and being unapologetically fat in tight clothes
I tend to wear more form fitting clothes because I feel like it accents the belly and makes me look a tad less than huge. This probably leads to all those people starring at me but whatev! My grandmother would die if she knew I was walking around in a bikini 9 months pregnant but honestly this is the best I've ever felt about my body. I'm dreading getting the post baby mushy stomach back in shape.... along with all the other body parts that have decided to follow suit.


I do plan on posting monthly pictures of the science experiment that was my body for the past several months and showing how I get it back in shape. Hopefully! I mean I KNOW this is not going to be easy. And really, posting about it will keep me motivated and accountable... in theory.

Having people be nice to you just because you're pregnant
Although I wish I had a sign for my car or could put a bubble around it to make people not drive like jerks around me. Speaking of which, my mobility and cat like reflexes are severely limited right now in addition to the fact that I am admittingly not a good driver so I would stay clear of me on the road.

Eating ice cream every night!
I did not go crazy with my diet by any means but compared to what it was before pregnancy it was a lot different. Possibly in a good way... On the nights when I couldn't stomach anything but a corn dog and tator tots, possibly not the best.  I had a huge aversion to the salads I used to eat every day and still haven't gotten that taste back. I'm not a huge fan of meat but I made myself eat 70 grams of protein each day. Between a protein shake (topped off with Mootopia), yogurt, and cheese it wasn't hard to get enough meat in there to hit the magic 70. I tracked everything I ate on an ap that counted calories, totaled all my nutrition, and even added in my cardio activity so I would know to eat more and compensate for those lost calories or missing nutrition. Those end of the night left over calories usually went to ice cream or some sort of dessert :)

"Part II... The ugly side" to come soon! I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the great things about pregnancy so if you've gone through it please comment and add your favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment