Sunday, March 1, 2015

100 happy people continued!



Week 2ish
The weeks are starting to blur together as I have less time to report on my journey but here’s what I’ve had time to write up since the last post.

Person 21- A friend from college sent me a message on facebook after reading my post and said that I should count her as one of my people because reading my blog makes her happy. AW! How nice is that! That was a reciprocal spread of happiness I believe.

I would like to clarify a few things though… I no way am I happy all the time! Not even close! I have found through this challenge, though, that while being nice to someone, it’s impossible to not feel joy yourself. I’d also like to say that my intention in posting all this was not to brag about what I’m doing…. I really hoped that my experience would encourage more people to try it!

Person 22- I went to the cleaners to get some pants altered. The seamstress said she had been in a bad mood all day but she seemed perfectly pleasant to me! And I told her that and thanked her for being so kind.

Person 23- the cable went out in our bedroom, which is a huge deal because often that’s the only way I can distract Tay long enough to take a shower. So the Uverse guy comes over and is incredibly polite and updates a bunch of old stuff to our wiring (or something like that). So I thanked him profusely for coming and staying late and really for doing such a thorough job.

Person 24- My uncle Steve has always invited us kids to Longhorn outings since I was little. And really, all the super important Texas sporting events I’ve been to have been with him. He’s also helped to organize and get tickets for a baseball game for all of us to go be together on my mom’s birthday. It’s what she would have wanted to do. I told him he’s literally “the best” via text and thanked him in person after the game. I really hope he understands how meaningful all those memories are to me/us.

Person 25- I’m keeping track of these on my phone and I wrote down “Bistro worker” and I can’t for the life of me remember what I was talking about. I’m sure I thanked someone at lunch or something?

Person 26- I ordered a stuffed horse off Etsy for a birthday party we have coming up. The seller was so great to work with and the horse turned out super cute. So I sent her a private message telling her that she was very talented and left her a glowing review.

Person 27- and while I was reviewing that item it reminded me I had purchased something else on Etsy for my husband (Jeep key hanging thing) and I think it may be one of the favorite things I’ve ever gotten him… so I gave a top notch review and told the seller that.

Person 28- One day last week another LSSP was out and I covered for her on the preschool assessment team which is on another campus. There was a little girl in the hallway, a kindergartener I’d say, who looked sad. When we crossed paths I told her how much I loved her pink sparkly sweater and wished I had one like it. She smiled.

That same day, after we finished the assessment, I had planned to compliment the parent on how involved and interested she was in her child’s progress and schooling. Before I even got the chance she thanked our team for doing such a great job and helping to educate her about the evaluation process. WOW! That never happens! She made my day!

Person 29- My sister (well, she’s really my sister-in-law) is really my very best friend. She was my matron of honor and I was hers. She also stood with me at my mother’s funeral and we gave the eulogy together. She is an incredible counselor and is devoted to her job as well as her family. So I texted her and told her all that and thanked her for being literally by my side during the best and worst moments of my life. She replied thanking me and that she had needed “that” tonight.

Person 30- while in the 15 items or less line at the store I saw the man behind me looking for a place to put his small basket so I took it from him and put it away under the check-out stand.

Person 31- A friend who is a speech pathologist that I used to work with at another campus changed her schedule and came to help me out with an Autism evaluation a couple of weeks ago. So I sent her a thank you note and a valentine’s pen in the pony (district mail system).

Person 32- during a meeting with a parent she mentioned that she had already done something that we had talked about previously so I praised her for that!

Person 33- I ordered a cake from Costco for my mom’s birthday celebration. They are DELICIOUS! You don’t get many options for decorating though, which is really no big deal. I checked off “baseball” for a theme, orange for the color, and “hook’em horns” for the wording. I really didn’t have very high expectations. So when I went to pick up the cake I nearly broke down in tears because it was so perfect! I stopped on the way out and complimented the cake decorator and she looked stunned.




Person 34- At the baseball game we had extra cake so we gave it to some kids in other suites and the workers. Cake makes me happy so I’m certain it made them happy as well.

Person 35- In a phone conversation with a parent I was surprised with how much they had been doing to help their child and I complemented them. It’s amazing how much saying something nice can turn a whole conversation in a positive direction.

I have more I could report on but that will have to wait. I’m VERY glad this is the last week before spring break because I’m ready for a BREAK!!!! As much as I am a rule follower and try to do right by kids and the district and as thorough as I try to be, I most definitely do not make parents happy all the time. Some have a hard time when their kid does qualify and they don’t want them to be “labeled” and others fight to find something wrong with their child. I feel like I’ve been dealing with more of the unhappy side recently. Sigh…. One more week!

No comments:

Post a Comment