Sunday, February 8, 2015

The 100 Happy People Challenge


We go to Oak Hills Church and this Spring’s Sermon Series is called “100 Happy People.” Our pastor, Max Lucado, has challenged us to each make 100 people happy over the course of 40 days. I accept the challenge!


The premise is to intentionally, purposefully, and practically make people happy. Buy someone coffee, say a kind word, tell someone how they have made a difference in your day or life. This, of course, immediately made me think about all the people who have been supportive while my mom was sick and after she passed. Which naturally made me start crying….during the service…not an uncommon reaction to anything for me now-a-days.

Let me back up a little and describe the kind of mindset I’m in beginning this challenge. I’m overwhelmed most of the time. Getting out of the house on time with a baby in a cute outfit and  a clean diaper along with all the food, toys, bottles, diapers, extra clothes, etc that she needs is a tad stressful for me. Then there’s all the time I spend away from her at work and the rushing home through standstill traffic to get to her each day. There’s also the whole missing my mom aspect. Most mornings on my long commute to work are tear filled. Too much time to think really is the enemy right now. Then there’s the added stress of being a school psychologist at this time of year. A description of my job and it’s added stress to the normal level of stress, towards the end of a school year would be an entire post on its own and I’ll spare you for now. Just know “busy” is an understatement.

So I’ve decided to do the “100 happy people challenge” because really, it should be a piece of cake right? Shouldn’t we all be able to make at least 2.5 people happy on a daily basis? I’ve already caught myself, just over brunch since church, with the opportunity to have said a kind word to several strangers and something kept me from doing it. So for me, I think the challenge is stepping out of my comfort zone to bring cheer to another. I preach about reinforcing students for good behavior on a constant basis so I think it’s time to take some of my own advice. Follow me as I take this challenge and I hope you spread some of your own joy along the way!

Person #1- the next thing on my to-do list today is to leave a thank you note to our new house cleaner who comes tomorrow. It is truly an amazing feeling to come home to a clean house after the rat race and working all day.


Person # 2…..

No comments:

Post a Comment