A lot has changed since my last post.... mainly, I'm not pregnant anymore and we have a new daughter! The doctor thought she might come early but I'm not sure I totally believed it would happen.... and then it did. Taytum is 12 days old. When I say it out loud I can't believe it's only been 12 days. But then again 12 is approaching 15 which is essentially half a month and I can't believe she's half a month old either. Do I sound sleep deprived yet?
My water broke on the morning of the June 24th which was awesome because one of the things I really wanted to happen was to experience my water breaking on its own. Weird, I know, don't ask me why. Jim was already at work and I had just told him when he left the house not to worry about coming to my doctor's appointment that day because I didn't think anything significant was going to happen. Little girl is making me in to a liar! I called and told him we needed to get to the hospital but not to rush too much because I still wanted to shower and look presentable. so I did that and texted or called as many friends and family as I could before he threatened to take my phone away. Even though it was very apparent that my water had broken I still had a lingering fear that I would get to the hospital and they would tell me I was just fat and peeing on myself and send me home. Lucky for me my water had broken and we got to stay!
Since I still wasn't having painful contractions they started me on Pitocin to get the party moving along. I thought it was interesting how much the nurse encouraged me to ask for the epidural as soon as possible.... then I found out why. I mean obviously I knew contractions were going to hurt but I was curious what they would feel like and thought I could handle a few. In a matter of 30 minutes my pain went from a 3 to a 9. Then I got the glorious Epidural and the world was right again. I couldn't feel anything below my ribs. Which in hindsight may have been a bad thing because it interfered with my ability to push.
And, oh the pushing. I'm not quite sure how I thought this part of delivery would go but I feel like I know a lot of people who pushed a few times and the baby was out... not the case with me. After the first few pushes I could tell I wasn't making much progress even though Jim, my mom, and the nurse were trying hard to lie to me a tell me that I was. It was even more alarming when the nurse tried to console me by telling me that first time moms have a harder time and sometimes push for 2 to 3 hours!!! what?!?! That was not helpful information. After half an hour I was already tired. At the 2 hour mark I was exhausted and freaking out that I had been through the worst part of delivery and was still going to have to have a C-section. Luckily, the doctor was able to use the vacuum/ suction thingy and get Taytum out! Her bruising is gone but her head is still a little miss-shapen. poor baby!
At 7:10, during a shift change, Miss Taytum Belle Welch came into our lives weighing 6 pounds and measuring 19 and 3/4 inches! And our lives are forever changed! Stay tuned for chronicles of our "new normal."
No comments:
Post a Comment